Big Sky Stargazing
With no lighting for miles around, Mt Cook is the perfect place to view the stunning night sky. With informative guides leading the way as the sky begins to darken, your eyes will adjust and a feast of starbursts will soon dance above you.
Big Sky Stargazing
An experience is guaranteed. The tour is delivered either from an outdoor viewing platform at our Stargazing building set alone under a massive night sky, or if the weather is unfavourable then your guide leads you through a 'live' orientation of our southern night sky indoors, reclined in comfortable seats of New Zealand's first 260 digital Dome Planetarium theatre where 4k high definition images generated by state of the art computer software immerse you in a stunning digital view of the universe and beyond.
|From:||Mt Cook to Mt Cook|
Click on the region name to view more information about the region
- Fully trained guides
- Planetarium Digital dome presentation
- Stargazing within the Aoraki Mackenzie Dark Sky Reserve
- Use of telescopes & astronomy binoculars
- Hot drink
|1 October 2018 - 30 September 2019||$78 NZD||$45 NZD||Enquire / Book|
Children: Child (4 - 14 years).
What to bring:
- Flat soled, enclosed walking shoes must be worn
- Warm clothing
- The Big Sky Stargazing tour never cancels - if the weather is deemed to be below the required standard to operate outside, then the tour will move forward with the inclement weather alternative. This alternative features New Zealand's first full dome digital Planetarium - high definition video images on a suspended 9m wide x 4.5m high full dome. Our guides will take you through a 'live' orientation of the night sky that is sure not to disappoint the keen astrophile
- Minimum age is 4 years although tour is not recommended for those under 8 years
It starts with a 30 minute video of the sky and explaining what we would be seeing. Then they give you warm coats (very much appreciated) and drive you a short distance to a place away from all the lights. They had 4 telescopes set up, and the guides were so good at showing what you were seeing in the sky. The stars were amazing and they explained about what we were seeing. It was an incredible experience, and the stars were amazing.
Very worth the time and money!!!! You must do this.